Outlander (TV Series)
|Created by||Ronald D. Moore|
|Theme music by|
|Production companies||Tall Ship Productions
Story Mining & Supply Company
Left Bank Pictures
Sony Pictures Television (associate)
|Number of seasons||1|
|Number of episodes||16 (list)|
|US first-run airdates||2014|
|UK first-run airdates||TBA|
|Executive producer(s)||Ronald D. Moore
The 2014 TV Series Outlander is an adaptation of the novels by Diana Gabaldon. Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire's heart between two vastly different men in to irreconcilable lives. The "Outlander" series spans the genres of romance, science fiction, history, and adventure into one grandiose tale.
The TV series is spearheaded by former Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine writer/producer Ronald D. Moore.
 Series development
Filming is scheduled to begin in Cumbernauld, Scotland in September 2013. A especially built studio and production base has been setup in Scotland to film the series. It has been estimated to bring £20m to the Scottish economy and also raises the prospect of Scotland having a major film and TV studio for the first time.
The first Season will be filmed in a converted warehouse in Cumbernauld for around 38 weeks between late 2013 and early 2014, with 16 episodes of the time-travelling drama being made.
The production was attracted to the UK by new tax breaks for "high-end TV" and will commission around 200 Scotland-based crew and more than 2000 supporting artist roles cast from within Scotland and the rest of the UK.
George Osborne, the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer, said: "I am delighted that Outlander will be filmed in Scotland, and welcome the extra investment that will be made to the Scottish television industry."
 Noted changes from the Novels
Ron D. Moore has said the TV series will be faithful to the books on his twitter feed. During an interview Ron said “We’re at pains to really follow the books, One of the great things was Starz said to us early on was, 'We love the books, we think they are great so let's make the [show] for the people who love the books. Let’s make it for the fans of the books first and trust that anyone who doesn't know the material will get swept along in the story like everyone else does.' Nobody ever says that,” Moore laughs. “Typically studios and networks just say, 'Yeah, we don’t really care about the book. We bought it for the cover or whatever…' and then dispense with it very early on [in the process]. This was the rare time when everybody said this is great material and we like the story and these characters so let’s try to get as close to the books as possible in the show and that’s what we are doing.”
- Tobias Menzies as Frank Randall
- Tobias Menzies as Jonathan Randall
- Stephen Walters as Angus Mhor
- Annette Badland as Mrs. Fitzgibbons
- Gary Lewis as Colum MacKenzie
- Graham McTavish as Dougal MacKenzie
- Duncan Lacroix as Murtagh Fitzgibbons Fraser
 Production Crew
 Directors & Writing Staff
- Ronald D. Moore - Developer / Executive Producer / Writer - Known for Battlestar Galactica & Star Trek: DS9
- Toni Graphia - Writer - Known for Battlestar Galactica & Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
- Matt Roberts - Writer - Known for Caprica & Hellcats
- Ira Behr - Writer - Known for Alphas, The 4400 & Star Trek: DS9
- Anne Kenney - Writer - Known for LA Law & Switched At Birth
- John Dahl - Director - Known for Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad & Dexter
 Other Crew Members
- Diana Gabaldon - Consultant - Author of the Outlander Novels
- For a complete list of all episodes, see the Episode Guide.
The first season of Outlander will première on STARZ in the United States in 2014.
- Herald Scotland, Cumbernauld lands role in production of US TV series, 2013-07-20.
- blastr, We caught up with Ron Moore at Comic-Con to talk Helix and Outlander, 2013-07-23.